Word Voyage for Home Schools
To purchase Word Voyage for a home school, please click here.
Word Voyage is the ideal program for home schooling parents to create and monitor individualized vocabulary, spelling, sentence writing, and grammar lessons.
Built-in word lists include:
- Dolch Words Grade 3
- Dolch Words Grade 4
- Dolch Words Grade 5
- Greek and Latin Root Words 1: Grades 4-5
- Greek and Latin Root Words 2: Grades 6-7
- Greek and Latin Root Words 3: Grades 8-9
- ACT/SAT Prep: Grades 10-12
- Fun with Origins: Grades 6-12
Word Voyage Courses
For students wanting a total solution to their word-study needs, we offer Word Voyage Courses. With this service, you receive a 4 months of custom Word Voyage lessons, managed for you over the Web by a literacy specialist.
- Vocabulary - Individualized lessons that meet the student at his or her level. Lessons are continually adjusted based on the student’s performance. Students work with word families and learn to master the Greek and Latin roots needed for exponential vocabulary growth. The student’s progress is carefully tracked and reported to parents monthly. Student data is retained for renewal.
- Vocabulary, Grammar, and Sentence Writing - Individualized lessons that meet the student at his or her level. Lessons are continually adjusted based on the student’s performance. Students work with word families, learn to master critical Greek and Latin roots, and perform repeated rounds of sentence writing. In the writing module students study proper word usage, sentence structures (simple, compound, complex, and compound/complex), sentence types (declarative, imperative, exclamatory, and interrogative), parts of speech, punctuation, and many other grammatical skills. All sentences are reviewed and commented as needed by the tutor. Substandard work is returned to the student for revision. The student’s progress is carefully tracked and reported to parents monthly. Student data is retained for renewal.
- SAT or ACT Prep- A skills-based approach designed to prepare students for the Critical Reading and Writing sections of the SAT, and the English, Reading and Writing sections of the ACT.
- Vocabulary - Students engage in an in-depth study of SAT/ACT vocabulary by breaking down each word by Greek or Latin root and studying its etymology. As they learn to identify root families, students build vocabulary exponentially, and develop powerful strategies for decoding unfamiliar words encountered in test exercises such as Sentence Completion and Passage-based reading.
- Sentence Writing/Grammar - The program also provides an extensive study of sentence writing and grammar. Students study word usage, parts of speech, and punctuation. They also practice multi-part sentences with compound, complex, and compound/complex structures. Preparation is achieved for test sections including Improving Sentences, Identifying Sentence Errors, Punctuation, Grammar/Usage and Sentence Structure.
- Individualized Instruction- The tutor assesses the student’s level and focuses the lessons on skills needing reinforcement. Web-based access makes it easy for the student to engage the lessons regularly and meet due dates. As progress is achieved, the tutor expands the scope and difficulty of the lessons. Word Voyage Virtual Tutor: SAT or ACT Prep offers a highly effective –and efficient– method of preparing for college entry examinations.