Written by Whit Symmes Wednesday, 21 March 2012
Word Voyage: Program Overview
- Building Strong Readers- Students often skip over unfamiliar words. Word Voyage teaches them to slow down, poke around inside words, look for familiar roots, and associate these root-meaning clues with the context outside the word. This is what good readers do. This is how comprehension is improved. Each student receives individualized, Web-based lessons that build academic vocabulary. Most important, Word Voyage meets students at their level, and works with them from there.
- Saving Teachers Time- Word Voyage provides a streamlined platform that is simple to learn and manage, allowing teachers to deliver comprehensive vocabulary instruction in a fraction of the time required by conventional methods.
- Comprehensive Program for Grades 4-12- Word Voyage teaches students to take ownership of vocabulary from all subject areas. Custom vocabulary lists are provided to support course readings. Personal Vocabulary/Writing Journals follow the students through the grades, highlighting areas that need growth. Scope of instruction: Vocabulary, Latin and Greek Roots, Parts of Speech, Word Usage, Sentence Mechanics, Grammar, Spelling, Pronunciation, Syllabication, Languages of Origin, English History, Dictionary Skills, Attention to High-Frequency Errors, and Proofreading. Supports Common Core Standards and SAT.
- Differentiated Instruction - Word Voyage meets each student where he or she is with English fundamentals. Lesson content/structure can be adjusted at any time to keep progress on track. Performance data and personal Vocabulary/Writing Journals follow the students through the grades, highlighting areas that need growth.
- Raising Student Ownership of the Learning Process- Word Voyage lessons are personalized, level appropriate, and meet the students in their world: the Web. Students work at their own pace and receive continuous feedback and support.
- Strong Value Proposition for Schools- Word Voyage delivers differentiated instruction that would otherwise be cost-prohibitive. The program works on all computers and tablets. There is no download or installation required, and students can log in from home, reducing demands on school computers and IT staff. And of course, there is no paper and no printing required.